Indian Forum for Water Adroit

A user-friendly software package for VIC hydrologic model development

Pankaj Dey

• +109/-0
    • View Profile
  • Institute : Indian Institute of Science
  • Programming language : MATLAB, R
The Variable Infiltration Capacity (VIC) hydrologic and river routing model simulates the water and energy fluxes that occur near the land surface and provides useful information regarding the quantity and timing of available water within a watershed system. However, despite its popularity, wider adoption is hampered by the considerable effort required to prepare model inputs and calibrate the model parameters. This study presents a user-friendly software package, named VIC-Automated Setup Toolkit (VIC-ASSIST), accessible through an intuitive MATLAB graphical user interface. VIC-ASSIST enables users to navigate the model building process through prompts and automation, with the intention to promote the use of the model for practical, educational, and research purposes. The automated processes include watershed delineation, climate and geographical input set-up, model parameter calibration, sensitivity analysis, and graphical output generation. We demonstrate the package's utilities in various case studies.

Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364815216308131

Pankaj

The following users thanked this post: Diwan

Diwan

• +12/-0
  • Be a learner or Teacher or helping to learn
    • View Profile
  • Institute : National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal
  • Programming language : Python, R, Matlab
Re: A user-friendly software package for VIC hydrologic model development
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
Nice.. hope it will reduce the time :)
Research Scholar
Dept. of Applied Mechanics & Hydraulics
National Institute of Technology Karnataka
Surathkal Mangalore - 575025

lokendra_rathore

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Institute : National Inst of Hydrology
  • Programming language : Python
Re: A user-friendly software package for VIC hydrologic model development
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
Hi, anyone tried this VIC ASSIST?  I tried to run it but it shows an interface and that doesn't take any command. I have edited paths of vic source code, cygwin and python according to my system. Do I have to edit the code manually?
I have posted screenshots of matlab editor and GUI which it shows after running the code. Can anybody help me with that?
Thanks