Indian Forum for Water Adroit

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Study material / Using tenses in scientific writing
« Last post by Diwan on December 14, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
Dear All

May be useful.. Pls find the attachment.
Models / Re: VIC hydrological model- sample data
« Last post by Diwan on December 13, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
Hi
Pls Check the spelling in rout file... fluxez_ or fluxes_
Models / Re: VIC hydrological model- sample data
« Last post by 619neha on December 12, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
Hello Sir/Ma'am,

I was running the VIC routing model for Gandak basin in Nepal area from 1979 to 2006. I got the 64 flux files for the basin to run the routing model (input). But when I ran, it showed the error:

NDAY =        10227  NMONTHS =          336
 1  NEPAL                   5   1
 Routing station: NEPAL               
 searching catchment...
 Number of grid cells upstream of present station          35
 reading grid_UH...
 making grid UH...
 reading UH_S grid from file
 making convolution...
           1  of          35 : /home/neha/Stehekin/stehekin/My_Results/fluxez_28.25_85.50
 Error reading time-series data, insufficient data or missing input file/home/neha/Stehekin/stehekin/My_Results/fluxez_28.25_85.50
 writing data...
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_INVALID_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG

What can be the reason for this error?
I have attached the flow direction, flow fraction and input files.

Thank you
Interesting information / Building Confidence in Hydrologic Models
« Last post by Pankaj Dey on December 08, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »
The Science

Understanding water availability and quality for large-scale surface and groundwater systems requires simulation. Scientists have developed many numerical models to address these simulation needs. How do these models differ in their portrayal of these water-based systems? To answer that question, seven different modeling teams from the United States and Europe exercised their models to develop a common set of benchmarks. With the benchmarks, they can better understand how each of the models agrees and differs.

The Impact

Intercomparison benchmark challenges build confidence in the choice of model used to answer a specific scientific question. The challenges also illuminate the implications of model choice. How? They force modeling teams to know the strengths and weaknesses of their own and competing models. This understanding leads to more reliable simulations and improves integrated hydrologic modeling.

Summary

Following up on a first integrated hydrologic model intercomparison project several years ago, seven teams of modelers, including two teams supported by the Interoperable Design for Extreme-scale Application Software (IDEAS) project, participated in a second intercomparison project. Teams met at a workshop in Bonn, Germany, and designed a series of three model intercomparison benchmark challenges. The challenges focused on different aspects of integrated hydrology, including a hillslope-scale catchment, subsurface structural inclusions and layering, and a field study of hydrology on a small ditch with simple but data-informed topography. Parameters were standardized, but each team used their own model, including differences in model physics, coupling, and algorithms. Results were collected, stimulating detailed conversations to explain similarities and differences across the suite of models. While each of the models share a common underlying core capability, they are focused on different applications and scales, and have their own strengths and weaknesses. This type of effort leads to improvement in all the codes. It also improves the modeling community’s understanding of simulating integrated surface and groundwater systems hydrology.Publications

S. Kollet, M. Sulis, R.M. Maxwell, C. Paniconi, M. Putti, G. Bertoldi, E.T. Coon, E. Cordano, S. Endrizzi, E. Kikinzon, E. Mouche, C. Mugler, Y.J. Park, J.C. Refsgaard, S. Stisen, and E. Sudicky, “The integrated hydrologic model intercomparison project, IH-MIP2: A second set of benchmark results to diagnose integrated hydrology and feedbacks.” Water Resources Research 53, 867-890 (2017). [DOI: 10.1002/2016WR019191]

Link : http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016WR019191/abstract
Models / Re: I need help to run Skehekin sample with VIC 5.0
« Last post by Hemant Kumar on December 06, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »
I have solved the problem. I was writing the directory path from home directory when it should have been written from root directory.

The following directory format will work in both Ubuntu and VIC (notice /home/hemant/)
Code: [Select]
/home/hemant/VIC_sample_data/The following one will work in Ubuntu terminal but won't work with VIC (notice ~/)
~/VIC_sample_data/
Best way to find the find the full path name of a file is to
  • Open a browser (Chrome in my case)
  • Type file:/// in the URL field
  • Now browse for your file
  • Full path will be the title (name) of the tab. [I am attaching an image for reference.]
Models / Re: I need help to run Skehekin sample with VIC 5.0
« Last post by Hemant Kumar on December 06, 2017, 05:20:53 PM »
I, Hemant, am working with VIC 5.0.1. I am getting the same error posted in these threads
http://wateradroit.com/forum/index.php/topic,1264.0.html
http://wateradroit.com/forum/index.php/topic,1145.msg2778.html#msg2778
However, both users have not posted the solution of the problem.
I have modified the file paths in the global_param.STEHE file as per the old VIC documentation available on the website. But when I run vic_classic.exe with the global_param file I get the following error:
[ERROR] ../shared_all/src/open_file.c:61: errno: No such file or directory: Unable to open File /home/VIC_sample_data/classic/Stehekin/parameters/Stehekin_soil.txt
You can see from the attached screenshot that the path is correct and I am able to open the file with gedit using the same path. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a dual boot laptop (Ubuntu+Windows 10). I have downloaded VIC and VIC_sample_data from github. The compilation of VIC executed properly. (apparent from -v command)
hemant@hemant-ubuntu:~$ ~/VIC/vic/drivers/classic/vic_classic.exe -v
VIC Driver  : Classic
VIC Version : 5.0.1 February 1, 2017
VIC Git Tag : VIC.5.0.1-18-g59b9
Compiled    : by hemant on hemant-ubuntu (LINUX) Dec  5 2017 17:14:30
Compiler    : gcc
 version    : 5.4.0

I want to know how to specify path in the global param file (syntax)
I have tried replacing ${VIC_sample_data} with the followings and they are not working:
/home/VIC_sample_data/classic/...
~/VIC_sample_data/classic/...
${VIC_sample_data}

Is there some other syntax for specifying file path in global parameter file? If possible, can someone post a global param file which is running with VIC?

I am attaching the global_param file, if needed, along with a screenshot of the error.
Post your question/information / Re: Further Floods in Ladakh Imminent
« Last post by Hemant Kumar on December 06, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »
Thanks Sat for the feedback. I shall include more info now onwards.
Hemant.
Announcements / Commonwealth Rutherford Fellowships
« Last post by Diwan on December 05, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
Dear all

FYI

Commonwealth Rutherford Fellowships are for highly skilled researchers from other Commonwealth countries to spend one or two years at an eligible UK university or higher education institution conducting postdoctoral research.

Last date by 12.30 (GMT) on 11 December 2017 at the latest

For more details: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/rutherford-fellowships/
Prof P P Mujumdar's group published a new article in Nature Scientific Reports. The article examines concurrent meteorological droughts and heatwaves.

Abstract: The impacts of concurrent droughts and heatwaves could be more serious compared to their individual occurrence. Meteorological drought condition is generally characterized by low rainfall, but impact of such an event is amplified with simultaneous occurrence of heatwaves. Positive feedback between these two extremes can worsen the rainfall deficit situation to serious soil moisture depletion due to enhanced evapotranspiration. In this study, the concurrence of meteorological droughts and heatwaves is investigated in India using Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) high resolution gridded data over a period of 60 years. Significant changes are observed in concurrent meteorological droughts and heatwaves defined at different percentile based thresholds and durations during the period 1981–2010 relative to the base period 1951–1980. There is substantial increase in the frequency of concurrent meteorological droughts and heatwaves across whole India. Statistically significant trends in the spatial extent of droughts are observed in Central Northeast India and West Central India; however, the spatial extent affected by concurrent droughts and heatwaves is increasing across whole India. Significant shifts are identified in the distribution of spatial extent of concurrent drought and heatwaves in India compared to the base period.

Access the article using the link (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15896-3)
Announcements / Opening for Ad-hoc Faculty in NIT Warangal
« Last post by SANGEETA on December 04, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »
Vacancies are for Civil Department also.
Please find more details in the attachment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10